Monday 21 January 2013

A Canadian, in Jamaica illegally since 2007, was fined $8,000 or three months in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.

Michael McKenzie, from Toronto, pleaded guilty to overstaying his time in Jamaica. The details behind his arrest were not outlined in court.
"Where are you from originally?" Resident Magistrate Sheron Barnes asked McKenzie.
"I was born in Toronto, but because all my family is down here, I came here. My parents have been deceased from I was one-year-old, and all my family are down here," replied McKenzie.
"But there are some other things you would need to do to come here," RM Barnes told him.
The arresting officer said McKenzie's Jamaican relatives are not willing to assist him as he has a cocaine addiction and a history of violence, claims McKenzie strongly denied.
wasn't comfortable
"I was staying at a shelter, and I thought I saw a guy with a gun, and I told the officer I wasn't comfortable staying there," said McKenzie. "I am not addicted to cocaine, I've never taken cocaine, and I'm pretty sure you can check my blood system."
RM Barnes also sentenced McKenzie to a mandatory three months in jail.
"He has no status, so whatever I do to him, he has to stay where he is until he can be sent back home. In other words, they have three months in which to get him out of here," the magistrate commented.

No comments:

Post a Comment